Dr Basundhara Bhattarai
Senior Consultant (Gender, Environment, and International Development)
Dr Bhattarai is an internationally recognised specialist on gender and development. She considers gender justice across a range of international development sectors – including natural resources management, rural livelihoods, urban poverty, agriculture and food security, disaster risk reduction, water security and resilience building, small and community-based enterprises, infrastructure development, and health and development. Her gender works span research, development practice, training, program monitoring and evaluation, policy analysis, and women empowerment. She has served as a specialist/consultant for a number of national organisations in Australia and development agencies internationally, including DFAT, USAID, DFID, IFAD, and IDRC. She is a senior gender and development consultant at IFSD Sydney, and is actively contributing to University of Queensland’s professional training program on gender, development and humanitarian assistance. She has served as a senior researcher for a project on climate change, urbanisation and water security in India and Nepal in collaboration with the Canadian IDRC. She has also served as Gender Specialist at International Center for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD). Her research has been well recognised in the academia and used in graduate seminars in some US Universities. She recently completed a major assignment for United Nations FAO on a global review of forestry sector from SDG Goal 5 (Gender) lens and developed recommendations for FAO. She is also an actively sought-after counsellor of gender based domestic violence among Asian diasporic communities in Australia.
- Over 15 years of international experience in designing and delivering programs on gender and social inclusion in the context of international development (contributed to improved livelihoods of some of the world’s poorest and largest human population in Asia).
- Published over 20 scientific papers on various critical issues related to gender, social inclusion, environmental management and poverty reduction (including a well cited paper published in World Development).
- Provided specialised professional services to programs of top international development agencies including. UK Department for International Development, Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations (FAO), International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), and Department for Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). These include contribution to gender and food security component of the State of World Forest 2018 produced by FAO.
- Served as gender and social inclusion expert at an international development agency.
- Offered policy advice to high level decision makers on mainstreaming and translating gender equality principles in policy, organisational management, and practices.
- Served as the head of an academic institution in Australia and provided leadership to management and technical teams.
- Conducted community development work across developing countries, focussing on South Asia.
- Delivered training and capacity building programs for development and policy management professionals
- Bhattarai et al (under review). Escalating gender inequality in water governance in two cities of Nepal under changing climate. Water Alternative.
- Ojha, H., Devkota, K, Neupane, K, Bhattarai, B. et al (under review) Urban water resilience: is Nepal’s water policy effective? Water Policy.
- Bhattarai, B. (2020). How Do Gender Relations Shape a Community’s Ability to Adapt to Climate Change? Insights from Nepal’s Community Forestry. Climate and Development.
- Shrestha, K.K., Bhattarai, B. and Ojha, H.R. (2019). Disaster Justice in Nepal’s Earthquake Recovery, International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 33:207-216.
- Ojha, H., T. Maraseni, A. Nightingale, Bhattarai and D. Khatri (2019). Rescuing forests from the carbon trap. Forest Policy and Economics 101: 15-18.
- Adhikari, J., Ojha, H.R. and Bhattarai, B. (2016). Edible forest? Rethinking Nepal’s forest governance in the era of food insecurity. International Forestry Review 18(3):265-279.
- Bhattarai, B., Beilin and Ford, R. (2015). Gender, Agrobiodiversity, and Climate Change: A Study of Adaptation Practices in the Nepal Himalayas. World Development 70: 122-132.
- Ojha, H., D.B. Khatri, K.K. Shrestha, Bhattarai, J.C. Baral, K. Goutam, B. Basnet, M.R. Banjade, S. Jana, B. Bushley and S. Dhungana (2015). Can evidence and voice influence policy? A critical assessment of Nepal’s Forestry Sector Strategy 2014. Society and Natural Resources 29(3): 357-373
- Ojha, H. R., Banjade, M. R., Sunam, R. K., Bhattarai, B., Jana, S., Goutam, K.R. and Dhungana, S. 2014. Can authority change through deliberative politics? Lessons from the four decades of participatory forest policy reform in Nepal. Forest Policy and Economics 46: 1-9.
- Khadka, M; Bhattarai, B (2012) ‘Gender dimensions of forest governance in Nepal (Nepali language) Hamro Ban Sampada, Nepal, Year 10, No.1, 2069 BS.
- Choudhary, D., Bhattarai, B., Pandit, BH. and Kollmair, M. 2010. Empowering women through bay leaf value chain development. ICIMOD Newsletter on Sustainable Mountain Development 57, ICIMOD, Summer 2010: 38-40.
- Bhattarai, B., Dhungana, S. and Kafley, G. 2007. Poor-focused common forest management: Lessons from leasehold forestry in Nepal. Journal of Forest and Livelihood 6 (2): 20-29.
- Ojha, H., Cameron, J., and Bhattarai, B. 2006. Understanding development through the language of Bourdieu and Habermas – Insights from Nepal’s leasehold forestry programme. International Development Policy Review 27 (4), 479-497.
- Luintel, H. and Bhattarai, B. 2006. Exploring priority problems of the forest dependent poor in Nepal. Journal of Forest and Livelihood 5 (1): 1-13.
- Bhattarai, B.; Ojha, ; and Humagain, Y. 2005. Is leasehold forestry really a pro- poor innovation? Evidences from Kavre District, Nepal. Journal of Forest and Livelihood, 4 (2), 17-30.
- Ojha, H. and Bhattarai B. 2003. Learning to manage a complex resource – A case of NTFP assessment in Nepal. International Forestry Review Vol (2), 118-127.
- Ojha, H. and Bhattarai B. 2001. Understanding community perspectives of silvicultural practices in the Hills of Nepal. Forests, Trees and People Newsletter, No 44. Forests, Trees and People Program, FAO.
- Bhattarai, B., Dhungana, S. and Kafley, G. 2008. Poor focused common forest management: Lessons from leasehold forestry in Nepal. In: Communities, forests and governance- Policy and institutional innovations from Nepal, (eds.) H. Ojha, N. Timsina, C. Kumar, B. Belcher and B. Banjade). Adroit Publishers, New Delhi, India.
- Branney, P., Malla, Y., Bhattarai, B. and Tamrakar, T. 2001. Innovative Forestry: A synthesis of small- scale forest management practices from Nepal. A field workers’ guidebook. Forest user group forest management project (FFMP) and Livelihoods and Forestry Programme of DFID, Nepal.
- Bhattarai, B. 2011. How can community-based forest management contribute to food security in Nepal? Livelihood and Forestry Programme of DFID, UK. Kathmandu.
- Sakya, B. Bhattarai, B. and Leduc, B. 2010. Gender mainstreaming in biodiversity conservation in the Hindu- Kush Himalayas. ICIMOD, Kathmandu.
- Bhattarai, B. and Shrestha, A.J. 2010. Assessment of gender mainstreaming in off- season vegetables value chain in Uttarakhand Livelihood Improvement Project in Indian Himalayas (Aajeevika). ICIMOD, Kathmandu.
- Bhattarai, B., Dhungana, S. 2008. How can forests better serve the poor? A review of documented knowledge on leasehold and community forestry in Nepal. ForestAction Nepal in collaboration with Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), Bogor, Indonesia. http://www.cifor.cgiar.org/forestlink/_ref/home/summary/bhatarai-review-summary.htm
- Bhattarai, B. Assessment of Western Uplands Poverty Alleviation Project in Nepal from gender lens. International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development, Kathmandu.
- Chhetri, RB, Bhattarai, B., Timsina, N., Harisharan, L., Regmi, R. and Ale Magar, R. 2008. Decentralization and promotion of women’s rights in Nepal: Exploring constraints, opportunities and intervention avenues. ForestAction Nepal in collaboration with IDRC, Canada.
- Luintel, H., Bhattarai, B. and Ojha, H. 2007. A review study on Internal group governance in the context of community-based forest management in Bhutan, Vietnam, Cambodia and Nepal: A Review of recent innovations and an analytical framework. Environmental Resource Institute, Kathmandu and The Centre for People and Forests (RECOFTC), Bangkok.
- Paudel, K, H. Luintel, Bhattarai, and H. Ojha. 2003. A Survey of the Priority Problems of the Forest and Tree-Dependent Poor People in Nepal. ForestAction Nepal and DFID Research Programme/ UK.
- Bhattarai, B. and Leduc, B. 2009. Engendering value chain development. ICIMOD, Kathmandu.
- Bhattarai, B. Policy and priority actions for Nepal. Search for Common Ground Nepal. https://www.sfcg.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/NEPAL-Issue_Papers-Disaster-Resilience.pdf.
- Bhattarai, B., Dhungana, S.P. and Ojha, H. 2007. How can forests betters serve the poor? Some policy recommendations on Leasehold Forestry and Community Forestry in Nepal. Policy Brief. ForestAction Nepal.
- Chhetri, R.B., Timsina, N.P., Bhattarai, B., Regmi, R., Luintel, H. and Magar, R.A. 2006. Decentralization and women’s participation in Nepal: Policies and practices. Policy Brief. ForestAction Nepal
- Bhattarai, 2006. Balancing gender in community school governance: Reality and policy perspectives. Policy Brief. ForestAction Nepal.
- Bhattarai, B. Is Gender Transformative Change Possible in International Development? Some Critical Problems and Actionable Solutions. https://ifsd.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ifsd-gender-115-2018.pdf
- Shakya, B. and Bhattarai, B. 2010. E-discussion paper on gender, biodiversity and climate adaptation in the Hindu-Kush Himalayas, 3-21 May. ICIMOD, Kathmandu.
- Bhattarai, B. and Ojha. H. 2000. Distributional impact of Community Forestry: Who is benefiting from Nepal‘s Community Forests? Discussion paper. ForestAction Nepal
- Shrestha, K., Ojha, H., Khatri, D., Bhattarai, B., Karki, R., Ian, N. and Paudel, N. 2014. The forest-food paradox: Rethinking Nepalese community forestry in the face of food insecurity. A paper presented in Agrifood XXI conference, Nov 2014, Sydney.
- Bhattarai, B. Beilin R. and Ford, F. 2013. Gender and climate change adaptation: A case study of agricultural biodiversity management in the mountains of Nepal. A paper presented in The Australian Sociological Association (TASA), Melbourne.
- Bhattarai, B. Beilin R. and Ford, F. 2013. Why gender matters in biodiversity management for food production in a changing world? A case of Nepal Himalayas. A paper presented in Agrifood XX conference, Dec 2013, Melbourne.
- Bhattarai, B. 2012. Can current gender equality approaches contribute to gender equitable agrobiodiversity adaptation to climate change in Nepal Himalayas? A paper presented in Bhutan +10, Gender and Sustainable Mountain Development in a Changing World, 5-10 Oct 2012, Thimpu, Bhutan.
- Bhattarai, B. 2011. Rhetoric and reality: Enacting gender-based inclusion in managing the commons in Nepal. Paper presented in an international conference on Sustaining Commons: Sustaining Future. 9-14 January, Hyderabad, India.
- Bhattarai, B. Pandit, B.H., Choudhary, D. and Leduc, B. 2009. Engendering value chain: The case of a Bay Leaf enterprise in Nepal. Paper presented at the International Conference on Community Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal.
- Leduc, B., Shrestha, A. and Bhattarai, B. 2008. Gender and climate change in the Hindu-Kush Himalayas of Nepal. ICIMOD, Kathmandu and Women Empowerment and Development Organization, New York.
- Bhattarai, B. 2007. What makes local elites work for the poor? A case of community forestry user group, Nepal. Proceedings of the international conference on Poverty Reduction and Forests: Tenure, Market and Policy Reforms. 3-7 September, Bangkok, RECOFTC.