Dr Timsina is a globally respected agricultural scientist specialising on agronomy, soil management and agroecosystems sustainability. He has a wide range of experiences in Australia and a number of countries in Asia. He has worked with some of the world’s most respected agriculture research institutes such as IRRI and was involved in collaborative activities with several others, including ILRI, CIP, and ICRISAT, and World Agroforestry Centre. He acted as Consultant at International Maize and Wheat Research Centre (CIMMYT) in Bangladesh. He has led a number of research projects on crop modelling, soil and plant nutrients, food security, and sustainable agricultural intensification, to name a few. He has served as a senior research fellow at the University of Melbourne, and continues to be associated with the University as an honorary Principal Research Fellow. He also holds an Adjunct Professor position with Agriculture and Forestry University in Nepal. He has published over 140 scientific papers and sits in the editorial boards of Agricultural Systems, Agronomy Journal, Global Journal of Agriculture and Allied Sciences, EC Nutrition, and Cambridge Scholars Publishing. He has also worked with CSIRO and ACIAR in Australia on various projects related to agriculture, water and nutrient management. With extensive field works experiences in Australia, The Philippines, Nepal, India, and Bangladesh, Dr Timisna brings an applied, problem-solving and community-driven research and innovation expertise critical to achieve Sustainable Development Goals on reducing hunger and terrestrial sustainability. Last but not least, he is an active academics contributing to higher and vocational education sectors in Australia. Click here to download DR Timsina’s CV
News & Updates
- Timsina, J., Cold Injury in Temperate Rice: A Mini Review”. EC Nutrition SI.01:30-33.
- Majumdar, K., Zingore, S., Garcia, F., Correndo, A.,Timsina, J., Johnston, A.M., 2017. Improving nutrient management for sustainable intensification of
- Achieving Sustainable Cultivation of Maize Vol 2 (ed. Watson): Ch 8. Burleigh Dodds Series in Agricultural Science: no. 2, Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing.
- K.Naresh, J. Timsina, S.Bhaskar, R.K.Gupta, K.Singh, S.S.Dhaliwal, R.S.Rathore, Vivak Kumar, Prem Singh, S.P.Singh, Saurabh Tyagi, unil Kumar, Nihal Chandra Mahajan, 2017. Effects of Tillage, Residue and Nutrient Management on Soil Organic Carbon Dynamics and its Fractions, Soil Aggregate Stability and Soil Carbon Sequestration: a Review. EC Nutrition (inPress).
- M. Akhter A, Akbar Hossain A, Jaime A. Teixeira da Silva B, J. Timsina, C, M.S. Islam, 2017. Growth and yield of five irrigated spring wheat varieties as influenced by seeding rate in Old Himalayan Piedmont Plain of Bangladesh. Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology (inPress).
- Ahmed, Z.U., Krupnik, T.J., Timsina, J., Islam, S., Majumdar, K., Buresh, R.J., Hossain, K., Haque, A., Adhikary, M.K., Pandit, D., Uddin, M., Haque, M.F., Momin, A., Arafat, M.A., Shahjahan, M., Yasmin, S., Emran, S.A., Islam, N., Rahman, M., Harun-Ar-Rashid, McDonald, A.J., Gathala, M.K., 2017. Spatial heterogeneity of indigenous soil fertility and maize yield response to nutrients in the Eastern Indo- Gangetic Plains: implications for precision nutrient management. J. Agron. (underreview)
- Guilpart, N., Grassini, P., Sadras, V.O., Timsina, J., Cassman, K.G., 2016. Estimating yield gaps at the cropping system level. Field Crops Res. (InPress).
- Timsina, J., Wolf, J., Guilpart, N., van Bussel, L., Grassini, P., van Wart, J., Hossain, A., Rashid, H., Islam, S., van Ittersum, M., 2016. Can Bangladesh produce enough food to meet future demand? Syst. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agsy.2016.11.003).
- Akhter, M.M., Hossain, H., Timsina, J., da Silva, J.A.T., Islam, M.S., 2016. Chlorophyll meter – a decision-making tool for nitrogen application in wheat under light soils. Int. J. of Plant Prod.10(3).
- Mondal, S., Mallikarjun, M., Ghosh, M., Ghosh, D.C.,Timsina, J., Influence of integrated nutrient management (INM) on nutrient use efficiency, soil fertility and productivity of hybrid rice. Archives of Agron. and Soil Sci. Doi: 10.1080/03650340.2016.1148808
- Gathala, M.K., Timsina, J., Md. Islam, S., Krupnik, T.J., Bose, T.R., Islam, N., Rahman, M.M., Hossain, M.I., Harun-Ar-Rashid, Ghosh, A.K., Hasan, M.M.K., Khayer, M.A., Islam, M.Z., Tiwari, T.P., McDonald, A.J., 2016. Productivity, profitability, and energetics:a multi-criteria and multi-locationassessment of farmers’tillage and crop establishment options in intensively cultivated environments of South Asia. Field Crops Res. 186,32-46.
- Krupnik, T.J., Ahmed, Z.U., Timsina, J., Yasmin, S., Hossain, F., Mamun, A.A., Mridha, A.I., McDonald, A.J., 2015. Untangling crop management and environmental influences on wheat yield variability in Bangladesh: An application of non-parametric approaches. Syst. 133,166-179.
- Gathala, M.K., Timsina, J., Islam, S., Rahman, M., Hossain, I., Harun-Ar-Rashid, Ghosh, A.K., Krupnik, T.J., Tiwari, T.P., McDonald, A., 2015. Conservation agriculture based tillage and crop establishment options can maintain farmers’ yields and increase profits in South Asia’s rice-maize systems: Evidence from Bangladesh. Field Crops Res. 172,85-98.
- Mondal, S., Mallikarjun, M., Ghosh, M., Ghosh, D.C.,Timsina, J., Effect of Integrated Nutrient Management on Growth and Productivity of Hybrid Rice. J. of Agric. Sci. and Techn. B5, 297-308. Doi:10.17265/2161-6264/2015.05.001.
- Krupnik, T.J., Ahmed, Z.U., Timsina, J., Shahjahan, M., Kurishi, A.S.M.A.,Rahman,
- Miah, A.A., Gathala, M.K., and A. McDonald. 2015. Forgoing the fallow in Bangladesh’s stress-prone coastal deltaic environments: Effect of sowing date, nitrogen, and genotype on wheat yield in farmers’ fields. Field Crops Res. 170: 7-20.
- Singh, V.K., Dwivedi, B.S., Tiwari, K.N., Majumdar, K., Meenu Rani, M., Singh, S.K., Timsina, J., Optimizing nutrient management strategies for rice-wheat system in the Indo-Gangetic Plains and adjacent region for higher productivity, nutrient use efficiency and profits. Field Crops Res. 164:30-44.
- Jyotsna, N, Ghosh, M., Ghosh, D.C., Meitei, W.I., Timsina, J., Effect of biofertilizer on growth, productivity, quality and economics of rainfed organic ginger (Zingiber officinale Rosc.) Bhaisey cv. in North-Eastern Region of India. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology 3(2):83-98.
- Jyotsna, N, Ghosh, M., Ghosh, D.C., Meitei, W.I., Timsina, J., 2013. Effect of biofertilizer on biomass productivity, nutrient balance and soil fertility in rainfed organic ginger production system. J. of Agric. Sci. and Tech.3(1):10-19.
- Timsina J., Singh, V.K., and Majumdar, K., 2013. Potassium management in Rice- maize systems in South Asia. of Soil Sci. and Plant Nutr. 000,1-14.
- Ram, H., Singh, Y., Saini, K.S., Kler, D.S., Timsina, J., Agronomic and economic evaluation of permanent raised beds, no tillage and straw mulching for an irrigated soybean-wheat system in northwest India. Experim. Agric. (doi: 10.1017/S0014479713000264). Cambridge University Press. 19p.
- Mahajan, G., Timsina,, Jhanji, S., Sekhon, N.K., and Singh, K., 2012. Cultivar response, dry matter partitioning and nitrogen-use efficiency in dry direct-seeded rice in north-west India. Journal of Crop Improvement 26(6):767-790.
- Mahajan, G., Chauhan, B.S., Timsina, , Singh, P.P., Singh, K., 2012. Crop performance and water- and nitrogen-use efficiencies in dry-seeded rice in response to irrigation and fertilizer amounts in northwest India. Field Crops Res. 134:59-70.
- Chauhan, B.S., Mahajan, G., Sardana, Timsina, J., and Jat, M.L., 2011. Productivity and sustainability of the rice-wheat cropping system in the Indo-Gangetic Plains of Indian sub-continent: problems, opportunities, and strategies. Advances in Agronomy 117:315-369.
- Ram, H., Singh, Y., Saini, K.S., Kler, D.S., Timsina, J., and Humphreys, E.J, 2011. Agronomic and economic evaluation of permanent raised beds, no tillage and straw mulching for an irrigated maize-wheat system in northwest India. Experimental Agriculture48(1):21-38.
- Mahajan, G., Timsina, J., Singh, K., 2011. Performance and Water-use Efficiency of Rice Relative to Establishment Methods in Northwestern Indo-Gangetic Plains. Journal of Crop Improvement 25(5):597-617.
- Mandal, D., Baral, K., Ghosh, D.C., Timsina, J., Dasgupta, M.K., 2011. Economic analysis of diversified rotational cropping systems in the lateritic belt of lower Gangetic plain of eastern India. of Agric. Sci. & Tech. 5(11):331-341.
- Mandal, D., Ghosh, D.C., Baral, K., Dasgupta, M.K., Timsina, J., 2011. Weed incidences and their effect on crop productivity under diversified rotational cropping systems in the lateritic belt of lower Gangetic plain of eastern India. Jour. of Agric. Sci. & Tech. 5(12):511-522.
- Mahajan, G., Timsina, J., 2011. Effect of nitrogen rates and weed control methods on weeds abundance and yield of direct-seeded rice. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science 57(3):239-250.
- Mahajan, G., Chauhan, B.C., and Timsina, J., Opportunities for Weed Control in Dry Seeded Rice in North-Western Indo-Gangetic Plains. Herbicides / Book 1″, ISBN 978- 953-307-749-9. In Tech, Janeza Trdine 9, 51000 Rijeka. Page199-208.
- LI, X., Timsina, J., Dixon, J., 2010. Economics of nitrogen use in cereal systems in south and east Asia. Jour. of Agric. Sci. & Tech.5(1):1-13.
- Kukal S.S., Sudhir-Yadav, Humphreys E., Kaur A., Yadvinder-Singh, Thaman S, Singh B, Timsina J. 2010. Factors affecting irrigation water savings in raised beds in rice and wheat. Field Crops Res 118:43-50.
- Ali, M. Y., Waddington, S. R., Timsina, J., Hodson, D., Dixon, J. 2009. Maize-rice cropping systems in Bangladesh: status and research opportunities. of Agric. Sci. & Tech. 3(6):35-53.
- Yadvinder-Singh, Humphreys, E., Kukal, S.S., Singh, B., Amanpreet-Kaur, Thaman, S., Prashar, A., Yadav, S., Timsina, , Dhillon, S.S., Kaur, N., Smith, D.J., Gajri, P.R., 2009. Crop performance in permanent raised bed rice–wheat cropping system in Punjab, India. Field Crops Res.110:1-20.
- Mahajan, G., Bharaj, T.S., Timsina, J., 2008. Yield and water productivity of rice as affected by time of transplanting in Punjab, India. Agricultural Water Management 96:525-33.
- Timsina, J., 2008. Book Review “Agricultural Sustainability: Principles, Processes, and Prospects”, S. Raman (Eds.), Agricultural Systems 98:156–158.